Saturday, February 19, 2022

Slow down, you crazy child.

 I was being a bit too ambitious.


My original ideas (see my last blog post) had a lot to do with the thriller/drama genres. 

I was settled on these ideas for a few days with my brain going absolutely crazy with every single possibility of execution and the proper portrayal of a complicated character. 

I realized the story I was trying to create was too in-depth. 

After all, this is a film opening, not a short film.


I decided I needed to rethink it all, coming back to my original notion of sticking to something I am familiar with as a teenager.

Social Media. Comparison. Impossible expectations.


    These are all things I, along with many other teenagers, are wrapped around every single day. I want to figure out a way to portray the emptiness social media comparison brings to those my age while properly setting up a film.


COMING OF AGE / DRAMA

    These are the genres that best fits this growing idea, encapsulating teenage life and insecurity conflict. Some similar pieces are listed below:


The Diary of a Teenage Girl (2015)
coming of age/drama

Mean Girls (2004)
coming of age/drama/comedy


    For this genre's film openings, a common technique used is voiceover. Voiceover gives the viewer a total look into the character's mind. I think this technique would be extremely effective with my idea of social media comparison. 



HOW?

Turning a new concept into a chronological list is difficult. So, until this idea is further developed, here's a list of my brain storm-

  • stills of room components describing the character with credits displayed
  • dim lighting
  • face lit up by computer screen
  • mirror shots of girl trying to look like girl she sees online
  • VOICEOVER!
  • voiceover of a metaphor possibly ? describing difficulty of not reaching expectations
  • shots of journal entries
  • ?? ending that leads into rest of the movie... 

RECAP

    I am relieved with this idea. It feels very meaningful to me while not being crazy and unrealistic to produce, unlike my original idea. 
    Portraying the empty feeling of not being good enough will not be easy. I can see my piece relying heavily on music and lighting. If done correctly, I think this piece will be deeply touching and compelling in regards to leading into a film. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

I can't believe we're here. Im so happy. May I very proudly present to you,  "TAKEOUT" (Click here or watch below!) @Takeo...