Friday, March 10, 2023

Print Component Research

     In class this Wednesday, we learned about the last component of our project: the print component. For short film, Jack and I have to create a postcard that we would hypothetically hand out at festivals. Mrs. Stoklosa showed many examples and taught us about conventions of the typical postcard. I've started formulating ideas for my own, but I need to hold off until filming to gather pictures from our shots to base our postcard off of. That way, we gain the most consistent look between our film and postcard.

In the mean time, I researched other examples in order to analyze and draw inspiration for my own piece.


Research examples:


     In this film postcard, the subjects are placed on the left third. Not only does this leave room for text on the right side, but creates a more appealing view to the eye. The main titles, the film title and the main credit, are in red. This draws emphasis on these pieces of information and also sets up some aspects of color theory. The color red could be used to portray the film's genre, which appears to be a horror or drama. There is also a tagline displayed under the title, giving the consumer a hint to the content of the movie. I wasn't positive of the genre from the red text alone, but the word "haunt" in the tagline is another hint towards horror.

     This postcard has inspired me to settle on 1 color for the main text, our title, and keep a simple color for the less important text. I think this concept looks really put together on this post card. Also, I hadn't even thought of a tagline prior, but I think it's what brings this postcard together. So, I will be s sure to come up with and include a tagline on my postcard.



     In this postcard, the darkness of the background is the biggest factor. It displays drama and disconnect between the subjects shown. The shadows also serve the same dulled-relationship feeling. The mature font also does a nice job to portray a more serious film. I like how the title is below the film credit rather than above. It probably means the filmmaker is well-known. Then, the awards displayed in the middle serve as a nice way to give the film proper praise insight to first time viewers. 

     The disconnect shown by the two characters is what inspires me the most here. I think the placement is really well done and I want to try to accomplish a similar feeling in my post card. I think this placement rather than off to one third of the frame is best for my genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

I can't believe we're here. Im so happy. May I very proudly present to you,  "TAKEOUT" (Click here or watch below!) @Takeo...